Make the most of your practice time
We're all busy and time is the most precious thing in the world, so don't waste it! Make every minute count and give it all you got for the most reward!
Here are some tips to help you make the most of your practice time. These are pretty important and will help you enjoy your time with your guitar, if you heed these tips, you will learn better and faster!
Watch The Video Lesson
Justin's Top 10 Practice Tips
Included in this list are some things that may not be very useful for a beginner, but try to remember them for later. These are the Ten Commandments of practice! They are explained in greater detail on the video.
Giving these simple ideas a bit of thought and then trying to stick to them will *really* make a difference to how fast you learn to play!!
1. Practice what you can't do, not what you can.
2. Never practice making a mistake. Get it right.
3. Start slowly and get it right before you speed up.
4. Using a timer saves time.
5. Focus on one element of practice at a time.
6. Try and practice a little every day, rather than practising a lot all on one day..
7. Keep track of your practice: use a practice schedule..
8. If it sounds good, it is good!
9. Playing and Practicing are very different, don't confuse them.
10. The more you think, the more you stink! Practice until it becomes instinctive.
A Common Question...
If I have more time than your suggested routines,
what extra things should I practice?
The best thing to do would be to have a 10-minute break to let your head clear and then do the whole thing again!
Keep your enjoyment levels at
Make sure you leave some time for fun in there too. Too much regimented practice and no fun could well make you lose interest. So, make sure you leave some time to jam around and play about – let your new skills grow your own way!
Ideally, you would spend half the time you have to practise working on specific exercises and then that same amount of time again just playing around, noodling, experimenting and enjoying the new sounds you are making.
Remember that ticking boxes in a practice routine can be one of the best motivators you will find. You will be able to keep tabs on exactly how much work you are doing and make sure you are working on the right skills.
|Beginner products you may like from justinguitar.com|
I have five great beginners products that will help you make the most of this course and you'll find them all at The Official JustinGuitar Store. If you want to really support the site then please buy direct from us. :)